July 12 & 13, 2021 9 AM - 5 PM ET Each Day
The Newborn Behavioral Observations system (NBO) is an infant-focused, family-centered relationship building tool designed to sensitize parents to their baby's competencies, challenges, and individuality with the goal of fostering the development of a positive parent-infant relationship from the very beginning. The NBO system consists of a set of 18 neurobehavioral observations, which describe the newborn's capacities and behavioral adaptation from birth to the third month of life. The 18 NBO items include observations of the infant's:
- the quality of motor tone and activity level
- capacity for self-regulation (including crying and consoling)
- response to stress (indices of the infant's threshold for stimulation)
- visual, auditory and social-interactive capacities (degree of alertness and response to both human and non-human stimuli)
Importantly, the NBO is NOT an assessment but rather a structured set of shared observations designed to help the clinician and parent learn together about the infant's behavioral capacities and identify the kind of support the infant needs for optimal growth and development. The NBO is therefore inherently interactive and family-centered, so that parents are involved as partners in the NBO session.
Live Interactive Webinars July 12 & 13, 2021 9 AM - 5 PM ET Each Day
This course includes 11.5 hours of live online training workshop. Workshops include a combination of lectures, interactive video case study sessions, small group breakout discussions, and hands-on practice with dolls. Following the workshops, two mentoring sessions will be offered at 1 month and 3 months after the live workshops. To obtain certification in the NBO, trainees submit 5 NBO Recording and Parent Summary Forms for review and critique by their faculty.
# of hours:
NBO training is approved for 11.5 hours CME/CEU credit across many disciplines.
Professionals who work with infants in first months of life including medical staff (nurses, nurse practitioners, midwives, pediatricians, neonatologists, physical/occupational/feeding therapists, lactation consultants, doulas) as well as mental health workers (psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, parenting coaches, home visitors).
Number of participants:
Maximum of 25
$650 for non-physicians
$750 for physicians
Understanding Newborn Behavior and Early Relationships: The Newborn Behavioral Observations (NBO) System Handbook
- access to pre-training activities and all materials
- NBO kit
- two full-day or three partial-day interactive Zoom live online training workshop
- post-training follow up reflective practice/mentoring sessions with faculty at 1 and 3 months post training
- ongoing access to faculty and other participants through our online discussion forum
- faculty review and individualized feedback of certification materials
- NBO training completion certificate
- CME/CEU credit
is highly recommended for all trainees. The handbook is readily available through online booksellers or the publisher, Brookes Publishing or can be purchased HERE
for an additional $47 (Incl. US shipping!).
Contact us today for more information and additional payment options: email@example.com